A Spring Cleaning Guide to Detox Your Life
Spring is here and of course that means spring cleaning. Time to clear out your old beauty products, clean out your cabinets, KonMari your closet and all of that fun stuff. But sometimes you need to go beyond spring cleaning. Sometimes, it's time to detox your LIFE.
What does that even mean, you ask? Well, as many of you know, I am all about safer, when it comes to beauty and personal care products, as well as what I'm putting ON my body. I know many of you are mindful about your food and what you're putting IN your body as well. But so many of us are totally unaware of the potentially harmful things we're exposed to AROUND our bodies every day. So in an effort to switch to safer in all things, here's my guide to detox your life and your home. Organizing, clearing out the old, making space for the new, and most importantly, cleaning up your products.
Have you heard of the documentary Stink? If not, you should check it out. It's kind of scary in the "I don't really want to know this but I need to know this" way. You can rent it here for $3.99. Essentially, there are many, many chemicals that are allowed to be in everyday products (from cleaning products to furniture) that have links to negative health effects - or are straight up toxic. Now, I realize that many of you (my husband included) is sitting there saying, yeah but do the natural alternatives actually work?
The answer is, not always. Some are better than others, some are safer than others. Most importantly, educate yourself so you can make better choices. The EWG.org site is an incredible, incredibly value resource for evaluating healthy cleaning & personal care products, with a huge of database of products. Here are a few things that I am loving - from your body to your home and everything in between (that actually work) - to detox your life.
- Collagen Peptides - did you know that collagen is the most abundant protein in the body that ensure the health and vitality of your skin, hair, tendon, cartilage, bones, and joints? Yeah, start taking these. I love these.
- Beautycounter No. 3 Charcoal Mask - Nothing is better than a deep cleaning detoxifying face mask to spring clean those pores! Beautycounter's line of high performing masks, mists & oils will take your spring beauty routine to the next level. And as always, safely and with transparency.
- Lilly Be Clear & Balanced Face Wash - I always need a good foaming cleanser in my life, so when I was introduced to local Miami brand Lilly Be, I scooped it up. All handmade and organic, her products are beautiful and smell amazing. Love this deep, natural cleanse.
- Seventh Generation Multi-Surface Cleaner
- Puracy Natural Dish Soap
- EO Hand Sanitizer - this bottle of lavender heaven is sold at Whole Foods and just so, so good. (safe for kids, too!)
Try switching out one at a time as you run out of your old products. And I would love to hear if you have any other favorite "clean" cleaning products or helpful tips to detox your life - I'm always looking for new ways to be safer & better - because even small changes matter. Thanks for reading!